"All the world's a stage, and the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts."

- William Shakespeare

Friday, February 25, 2011

and the oscar will go to...

As of this moment, the 83rd annual Academy Awards are about 52 hours away, but who's counting? Oh, right - I am. Counting down the hours - check. Watching the movies... not so much. I've seen a decent amount of them. I got two more in over my reading week, but I still feel a bit like I'm having that dream where I show up to school pants-less. It's like the Oscars snuck up on me.

I guess the only important movies I haven't seen (of the nominations) are True Grit, Black Swan and 127 Hours. And, in my defense, I want to see two of the three. (...I don't know what it is about Black Swan that makes me never want to watch it... but I just couldn't care less about it... maybe it's that rumour I heard about girl on girl. I really don't want to pay to see that and then hear people call it cinematic genius...)

Random fact: I've seen all but one of the movies nominated for art direction... but that's one of the awards you use as a bathroom break...

When I was in grade eleven, I took a media course (and it was the best course of my liiifee) and when the Oscars rolled around, we all put down our predictions about who would win what. I got a prize out of it... for having the least amount of correct predictions... so this year I think I'll try it again.

If I had money, I'd put it on Colin Firth for best actor. I'm pretty sure Christian Bale will win for best supporting (which will make me cry a little because it will mean Geoffrey Rush didn't win for his amazing performance in The King's Speech).


Oh! Can I insert here my theory about how to win Academy Awards? Here's the secret: play a real person. And BOOM! You win. History doesn't lie:

Jamie Foxx won for his portrayal of Ray Charles in 2004;
Philip Seymour Hoffman won for Capote, 2005;
Sean Penn - Harvey Milk, 2008;
Nicole Kidman - Virginia Woolf, 2002;
Reese Witherspoon - June Carter Cash, 2005;
Helen Mirren - Queen Elizabeth II, 2006
Sandra Bullock - Leigh Anne Tuohy, 2009.

I could go on and on...

But I won't.

I'll get back to my bets... I mean, predictions...

I haven't seen any of the performances in the best actress category, but I'll take a shot in the dark and say Natalie Portman for the win. As far as supporting actress goes, that's a tight race, seeing as three of the five women were in movies I have seen and they were all fantastic. I'm sure it'll go to one of them (that is, Amy Adams, Helena Bonham Carter or Melissa Leo).

Toy Story 3 will probably win for best animated feature, but if it wins for best film, there's something wrong with the Academy. I really hope The King's Speech will win for Music (Original Score), but now I'm just getting into the nitty gritty stuff that no one but me and the people who actually worked on the movies care about.

I'm pretty sure the big winners will be The King's Speech, The Fighter, The Social Network and maybe Black Swan. I guess that's what everyone's saying, so I don't sound that smart, I just sound repetitive. But, if I can just stay on this repetitive note for one more second -- I read a short article today about the hosts' plans for the Oscars and James Franco said, and I quote, "A lot of the show will definitely be about bringing in a fresh crop of movie viewers. But also, one of the backbones or arcs of the show is to appreciate the history of film."

Sounds like my kind of show!

So, regardless of the fact that I still don't understand why James Franco and Anne Hathaway are hosting (I have come to accept that fact though, so that's a step in the right direction), and I still haven't seen a few of the movies - I am definitely excited for this year's Academy Awards.

I know a lot of people aren't fans of the Oscars, and don't even get me started about my opinion of the entertainment industry (my opinion in a nutshell: they have waaaay too much money to throw around)... but there's something about the Academy Awards that I just find irresistable. My eyes will be glued to the TV from 7pm to midnight. (And yes, I'm well aware of the fact that the show doesn't officially start until 8:30 - I'll admit, I really like the red carpet interviews. And the gorgeous gowns... and ... yeah - maybe I do a little day dreaming about being there one day...)

I like the idea of rewarding people for having amazing imaginations and an abundance of creativity. It's a little sad that these imaginative and creative people haven't figured out a way to make the ceremony a little more entertaining, but hey - they've been working their butts off all year making great movies, so I guess you can't blame them.

Aaaaanyway... I'm going to stop talking about the Oscars now. Did I mention they were my favourite awards show?

Keep it real!

No comments: