"All the world's a stage, and the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts."

- William Shakespeare

Thursday, February 2, 2012

life in the fast lane

Today, when I was speeding and weaving through traffic for no reason other than the sheer joy and excitement it brings me, a lightbulb went on in my head. I realized that my desire to be a stunt driver is a lot stronger than I originally thought.

This idea was probably first sparked yesterday when I was driving my sister to Hamilton and she commented on my driving. She mentioned the fact that we didn't need to get there before 6 and was clearly intimating that, at the rate I was going, we'd be early. I was going to tell her that I wasn't doing it on purpose -- it's just the way I always drive -- but I decided against it when it dawned on me that normal people probably find my need for speed a little.. abnormal.

But, really, that's neither here nor there, as I have grown to accept and embrace my abnormal-ness at this point in my life. So.. moving on!

Back to the idea of taking the stunt driving dream seriously. Maybe it was Ryan Gosling's character in Drive or maybe it was the seizure that is Speed Racer ... or maybe it's just my life-long obsession with hot cars, fast driving and all around stupidly dangerous activities... Whatever the case, I've got a serious desire to get behind the wheel of a car and make movie magic. And for some reason, it took today's commute to school for me to fully realize this.

You'd think that, as the girl whose favorite scene in movies is always the car chase scene, this realization would've come a little sooner, or at least wouldn't have been this much of a shocker.. But, like most things in my life, it took a while for me to catch on.

Now that I'm up to speed though (aha! get it?), I'm pretty excited. Sure, I know I need to keep my focus on school for at least the next few months and then I should probably pay a little bit of attention to the river of school debt threatening to drown me.. And yeah, I also need to factor in the fact that when I don't get a chance to write often enough I feel as though my world may implode.. Oh, and there's also the fact that training for this 'new' passion of mine will cost a pretty penny..

But all those things aside, the thumpity-thump-thump of my heart beat is telling me that this is a severely cool new thing on my horizon that I can't wait to sink my teeth into!

I had a taste of it a year or two ago when I took my first stunt-driving course, so I've got an inkling of what I'm about to throw myself into, but there's really no telling how far this can go. Maybe that's what excites me most.

Actually, that's a lie. The thing that excites me most is the idea of having a back-seat driver that isn't saying "slow down!" but rather "SPEED UP!" ;)

Lars out.

Keep it real!

1 comment:

Carly Dodd said...

DO IT DO IT!
if you need practice we can go to the autobahn.
(seriously)