"All the world's a stage, and the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts."

- William Shakespeare

Friday, May 21, 2010

not your average day at the office...

Oh MAN! I don't know why I didn't write about that stunt driving course as soon as it ended... oh yeah, my life got insanely hectic and has finally slowed down just about twenty minutes ago... that's why.

So 'how did the stunt driving course go' you ask? At least, I hope you ask because I'm about to answer regardless! It was SO MUCH FUN! Not nerve-racking at all! And here's the weirdest part: it felt so natural; like... well, not like I was born to do it, because I'm sure there's plenty of things that could fit into that strange, cliche category... but everything just clicked. Does that make sense? I didn't have to do a lot of thinking, the impulses were just there. The 'teacher' would tell me how the stunt works, demonstrate and then let me take the wheel and boom - I'd do a 90 degree slide into a parallel parking spot. (Which, by the way, is one of the funnest experiences EVER!) In the one day course I learned how to do most of the 'money shots' that you see in your basic car commercial. The skid to a stop on a 45 degree angle about a foot away from the lens of the camera (we used pylons, just in case), the skid into a parallel parking spot and the 180 degree turn (driving forwards, not reverse 180s... I'll have to try that one on my own) and then we just did a combination of those and a few easier stunts.

Unfortunately minivans aren't the greatest car to practice with, so I won't be able to do any of these stunts in my neighborhood. Plus, the stunt cars had this crazy awesome breaking system. One break petal was attached to the rear wheels to allow for skidding, while the normal break petal was attached to the front wheels so when you stepped on that one your car actually would stop. My next car is definitely going to have that tripped out breaking system... as well as about 50,000 spare tires, because those wear out FAST when you're skidding all over the place.

So, not only did I enjoy an entire day behind the wheel without someone yelling at me to slow down, but I also met a bunch of really cool stunt drivers. Apparently they're legends within the industry and they had the stories to prove it!

Bottom line: I'm going back. Maybe not until I'm done school because I, sadly, am not even close to being made of money, but I will go back to learn more... or just to have fun. Either way, I already know I won't regret it.

That's all I've got for now...

Keep it real!

No comments: