"All the world's a stage, and the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts."

- William Shakespeare

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Oops, I did it Again...

Hi. My name is Larissa and I am an impulsive buyer.


Seriously, it's true and it's getting really bad. I mean, who buys 'Just My Luck' for full price?... who buys 'Just My Luck' period? Well, apparently I do. That's one of my more embarrassing crimes though (and in my defense, I bought it for the Chris Pine moments, not the Lindsay Lohan ones). But recently my impulses are wackier than ever.

This morning I was working, just minding my own business, when suddenly I felt in dire need of a hamster. A hamster. Luckily I wasn't anywhere near a pet shop, nor allowed to leave work for such a silly reason, and the impulse left after a couple hours... Other impulses of late that I have managed not to act upon have been things like buying a brand new computer (I settled for an external hard drive and extra memory for my old one) and getting another tattoo. I just came back from returning a gym bag... I bought it without thinking about the fact that it was way too big for the simple purpose of carrying a pair of shoes and a towel, never mind the importance of size when it comes to fitting it into my gym locker.

Movies are my Achilles' heel... how do you think my movie collection got to be what it is today? Of course, most of the time I allow a little bit of common sense to leak into my movie purchases - I only hunt in the previously viewed section at Blockbuster or the bargain bin at Walmart. Once in a while though, my impulse just takes over... The "Oh, I know I can't afford it but it was such a great movie!" happens I find myself buying something before it's reached the bargain bin. Don't worry, that wasn't running through my head when I bought Just My Luck; but it was when I bought things like Fantastic Mr. Fox, Juno and Iron Man for full price.

Books: the library didn't have the Twilight series when I suddenly had to read it, so guess what's on my shelves now?
Clothes: How many graphic tees does one person really need? Yet every time I see a good one, it joins the rest of 'em chez Larissa.
Posters: My walls literally can't fit any more; I now have to decide which old posters will be covered up by the new ones.

(that's just A-D ...ridiculous much?)

You'll be happy to know (especially those of you who are shaking your heads at my behavior as you read this) that I'm working on this addiction of mine. Before I wasn't capable of walking into a Blockbuster without walking out with a movie or two; now I can just look and long but refrain from buying - though I let myself every so often... I mean, there are still so many good movies out there! Haven't bought a book in a while, returned that over-sized gym bag and just use my brother's old one (it's not that smelly after the fifth or sixth wash), and hit up Value Village more than any other clothing store. So I'm getting better. I'm starting to include my brain when I make purchases (or choose not to make a purchase). I mean, you'll notice all the recent impulses I've had I've managed to mostly ignore or come to a compromise. That doesn't mean I still don't feel the need to leave my house right now and buy Sherlock Holmes and Young Victoria. But I won't for at least one more night. Hopefully I feel this strong-willed tomorrow. :)

Anywho, I don't know why I decided to write about this today but I guess I just felt like sharing. If only I could act on my other impulses as readily as I do with my buying ones... I mean, the socially appropriate impulses... 'cause sometimes I just want to slap a patient upside the head for being such a jerk, but I don't nor will I ever (hopefully). But yesterday I went to a bar close to my house with a couple of friends and I saw this kid I knew from high school and I wanted to say hi but didn't. Lame.

So yeah. It seems eyes are a window to the soul and blogs are a window into the mind... I'm gonna go ahead and shut the drapes now though. Gotta catch up on some editing of the novel if I want to get that baby published! Thanks for reading my rantings. :)

Keep it real!


Shoot!! Now I want a hamster again!... :s

3 comments:

jmiles001|Graphic Tees said...

Hi, I've been reading your blog post!! and it seems to entertain me..because the content were good! and it seems to educate me a lil' bit! this post is really a great help!..thanks to this wonderful post!

Becky said...

i think someone wants you to buy more graphic tees.....

Larissa Benfey said...

Yeah, it looks that way... too bad I still just get mine from Value Village. And I'm a fan of good grammar... :s