"All the world's a stage, and the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts."

- William Shakespeare

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

there's homesick and lovesick; do you think there's stagesick?

I should be in bed right now; I'm planning on biking to work tomorrow, but I had to write this down before falling asleep.

I just came back from watching the A-Team. I loved it, I don't know what you're into, so I don't know if you'll love it, but I did. I'm a huge fan of Liam Neeson, Bradley Cooper is always funny and action movies are the greatest so those were the components that went into my thinking before I bought a ticket.

Sharlto Copley: not part of what had originally made me want to see the A-Team.

He's new in Hollywood. If you saw District 9 (I didn't), he's the main character apparently. But seeing as I haven't seen District 9 yet (I don't know what's wrong with me), this was the first movie I'd ever seen him in. In my books, he stole the show. Which is totally weird 'cause I went to the movie as a Liam Neeson and Bradley Cooper fan. The first time I saw the poster I actually thought to myself, "Why'd they get some no name to star as Murdock? He's going to be totally outdone by Neeson anyway."


I'll be the first to admit how wrong I was and how right Copley was for this part. He was fantastic. But enough about his performance, I wanna talk briefly about the ridiculous temper tantrum I was having in my head every time I watched a scene he was in. Watching Copley on the big screen made me soooo stagesick. Yeah, I just made up a word - deal with it. Ha! You know, homesick - you miss home; lovesick - you miss your 'love'; stagesick - you miss the stage (or the screen - both for me). Man, I wish I could explain this right, but it would take so many words to do my one feeling any justice. Copley looked like he was having fun. He looks like the kind of guy who just immensely enjoys what he gets to do for a living. He looked the way I feel when I do improv. Oh man, it was just so refreshing, yet so hard to watch at the same time. Only because I was in the audience instead of joining in the fun of performing along side him. And yeah, I know I'm doing this to myself - I've taken a year off to discover other passions of mine - but I can't help but feel stagesick when I see a movie that looked like it was a blast to be a part of.

Call me crazy, but I think this is a good thing, even though stagesickness is a tough thing to go through and I could just sign up for a Second City class right now and cure everything. I kinda want to let myself revel in this feeling a little while longer. Hopefully it'll make me that much more excited to be on a stage again when I get back into the acting groove. Hopefully I won't lose my improvisation skills just because I haven't used them in a performance environment (that's something I keep worrying about - that I'll forget how to improv). Hopefully this experiment of just living my life as a regular student will give me more experiences to draw on and eventually make me a better actor.

Hopefully.

Until then I think I'll just have to press through the stagesickness. It's funny, since 'giving up' acting, I've become a lot louder. Not just volume-wise, but as a person in general. It's like I'm compensating. I used to use the stage as a place where I could channel things normal life didn't allow. But now there's no more stage, so normal life's just going to have to deal with it. It's pretty fun. I might be becoming a little eccentric... :D

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say, when you boil everything down, is that as fun as being a writer is (and it's pretty fun - I get to spend lots of time in imaginary worlds - it's like I'm seven all over again), I don't think I'm ever going to get over this acting bug that's been in my system since I was, like, five. I still have six months left of 'experiment' before I consider signing on with an agent again and right now six months feels like forever. Come January I'll be itching to get on a stage or in front of a camera (or behind one - I want to give directing a shot one of these days). I can't wait. Literally. I can't. But I'll try.

So clearly, the moral of this story is: go see the A-Team and also, sometimes it takes a break from something to realize how much you really love it.

I'm going to go to sleep now. I can't believe I'm going to bike to work tomorrow. I think I'm losing it.

Keep it real!!

No comments: