"All the world's a stage, and the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts."

- William Shakespeare

Saturday, October 30, 2010

here it goes again

So I was doing a little bit of research after posting my v-blog online and discovered that even Imogen Heap keeps her v-blogs under twelve minutes. And she's Imogen Heap - of course she has much more interesting things to say. What I'm trying to say here is sorry, again, for making such an insanely long v-blog about pretty much nothing. Next time I'll keep it under five minutes (if there will even be a next time).

Anyway, I just wanted to write a short blog today (partly because it is another way to avoid the inevitable which, today, takes the form of three 4-5 page essays all due on Monday. Of course I haven't started them yet! But at least I've read the material I'm supposed to be writing about... so there's that).

I was scrolling down on my facebook home page (yet another good way to avoid essay writing) when I came across an interesting tidbit of information. My friend Mark (aka Fyodor Lewis) - sorry Mark, I don't know how to make a direct link to your page... I wish I was more tech-savvy - had a poem of his spotlighted (is that a verb?) on another blog which is super cool. And that got me thinking about a short story I just wrote. I don't like writing short stories. I like novels... and plays... and screenplays... and that's all. So obviously, the short story was written under duress (creative writing assignment). I wrote it the morning of the due date and I wasn't really happy with it... I still think it's incredibly corny and too obviously reaching for a stereotypical tearjerker. But my teacher thought it was 'wonderful' and 'publishable as is.'

Seeking different perspectives, I lent it to my parents to give it a read (hoping they'd agree with me, for some masochistic reason). My mom said it made her cry (in the right way) and my dad said he agreed with my teacher.

So that coupled with the inspiration received from seeing Mark's work commended, I've decided to enter my short story into a competition or two.

I don't like competitions. Especially writing ones. Because we all know how the last one turned out. But here I go trying again.

As 'luck' would have it, there are a bajillion and one short story writing competitions that all close tomorrow or November 1. So at least this time around I won't have to wait forever to hear the news, good or bad.

I'm only submitting my story to two competitions. That keeps things simple. I like simple.

Anyway, I just thought I'd let you know about this zany new development in my life. Of course I'll let you know the outcome as soon as I'm told what it is. And if I win, drinks on me! (Just kidding... I have to save, remember? Maybe I'll get you a little umbrella like the kind they put in cocktails so you can pretend I bought you a drink...)

Now I really will start writing those essays. Boo. Hope your weekend involves a lot more fun than mine will! Oh! And Happy Halloween!! :D

Keep it real.

1 comment:

Fyodor Lewis said...

That's awesome! I hope you win the competition. And thanks for mentioning me in your blog!
Hey do you want to get together at school tomorrow to do these freaking American Lit essays? We could keep each other from procrastinating. (I haven't started either)
Good luck!