"All the world's a stage, and the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts."

- William Shakespeare

Saturday, August 20, 2011

curiosity killed the cat

And, quite unfortunately, it also killed my afternoon.

Remember that movie bucket list I spoke of oh so long ago? Well, I've been slowly but surely watching the movies from that list, but I'm beginning to think what started out as a fun idea is becoming a bit of a chore. And it's movies we're talking about here! They've never been a chore to me!

It started with Annie Hall a few months ago and culminated in the headache that was Breakfast at Tiffany's just this afternoon. Needless to say, I've made the discovery that I am very much a product of my time. I have very little patience - if I'm going to be staring at a screen for two hours of my day, there'd better be something worthwhile about it.

...Here's my idea of a good basic story: there's a clear beginning, a clear middle and an end. Within that there should be one or two likable characters - maybe even loveable, but I can deal with just liking them. At least one of these characters should have some sort of purpose to their lives and the story as a whole should probably have a conceise point. Sure, call me German, but I do like a little logic to my storytelling.

Annie Hall met none of those criteria.

And, the lingering headache confirms that Breakfast at Tiffany's didn't meet any of 'em either.

I know, I know - they're classics.

But I don't think I care about whether or not it's a classic - just tell me a good story and I'm yours, Hollywood.

I know I haven't dissected any plots in this movie review, but that's because there are no plots to dissect. Which is just hurting me inside. Both Annie Hall and Breakfast at Tiffany's had main characters who were all over the place in all the worst ways and the "plot" was much the same. One thing happened, then another, then another - no connections, no purpose, no nothing but a migraine on my part.

I apologize to everyone who loves the classics, and these two in particular... I know it's just a matter of differing tastes. But please never put me in the same room as either of these movies ever again.

At least Breakfast at Tiffany's had a dashing leading man. I can't say the same for Annie Hall, but I guess that's neither here nor there.

I need to go do something. After spending 2 hours watching nothing happening but pretty people having fun on a movie set... I need to get rid of some of this pent up energy. Apparently when high expectations come crashing down, it makes me a little wired.

I may have to wait a while before I take on the task of watching another "classic". Until then,

Keep it real!

3 comments:

Minty said...

I cannot believe the words you are saying regarding Breakfast at Tiffany's, one of my all-time favourite movies.
I don't know if we can be friends anymore...
Oh Lars...it just hurts me inside.

~minty

Larissa Benfey said...

I'm sorry Minty! :( I still love you despite our differing movie tastes! And I'm sorry if I hurted your feelings - I didn't mean to.

~Lars

Carly Dodd said...

I hear ya, Lars. Though it sounds completely wrong to say - some classics really should just stay as simply 'good in their time' oldies. Haven't watched too many clasic movies... but as far as books go, I was just thinking of writing a blog on classic novels (coincidence much?) a lot of 'classic' novels are the same way, though... long drawn out nothingness. Seriously, I don't care if you talk old - give me a story!

basically to sum up this comment, I think i would probablly agree with you on said movies.