"All the world's a stage, and the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts."

- William Shakespeare

Friday, December 3, 2010

you call yoursuff a movie buff?!

I actually do know how to spell 'yourself' but it just didn't have the same ring to it. But, let's get back to the important issues at hand, shall we?

Movies.

Okay, so maybe I let my definition of important slip a little, but they play a pretty significant role in society these days, so it probably doesn't hurt to pay some attention to them.

On a completely different note (or is it?), I've been watching a lot of this show called 'The Buried Life' recently. You need to watch a quick trailer to find out the basics in a way that doesn't require me to write anything...


Pretty cool, right? They're pretty inspiring - so inspiring, in fact, that I'm feeling a bit inspired.  

Now, I haven't written a bucket list yet, though I've had a few ideas running through my head for years - and, in my defence, I've crossed off a few fun things already; like go skydiving and learn how to be a stunt driver, but there's still lots more I'd love to accomplish or experience before I die. I also love helping other people realize some of their goals and dreams and I'm planning on making that a part of my life too (however that looks)... But as far as good, wholesome fun goes - I've decided to make a Movie bucket list.

Now it's all coming together, right? Me mentioning the movies at the beginning and then randomly changing the topic -- you get the picture.

What brought this on? Well, I'm tired of claiming to be a movie buff and then knowing diddly-squat about all of the important movies of the century.

So I made a list of 50 movies I'd like to see before I die. I typed it up and printed it off - thus the adventure has begun... well, it will begin as soon as I put the first dvd in my dvd player.

I don't know how long this'll take, but starting is the first step, right?

I was thinking I'd write the list down in this blog post, but that would make this a pretty long blog post, wouldn't it? So I've decided to make you a collage. Of movies. It's not all the movies on my list, but it's still cool looking. I can post the list later... if needed.


I never said it would be a work of art - geez! Gimme a break!

...

Well, that's all for now. I borrowed Rain Man and The Royal Tennenbaums from the public library (they're on my list), so hopefully I'll cross two off my list within the week.

Might I recommend giving The Buried Life a watch? Check out season 2 online at mtv.ca... or just click here!! (I finally discovered how to add links to my page in that super cool way that makes you look like you understand technology... yay!)

So - what do you want to do before you die?

Keep it real!

3 comments:

Fyodor Lewis said...

Awesome! I will definitely check out that show. That is something I would definitely like to do. I've been lucky and I have definitely crossed off a few things on my bucket list but I have a ton more.
I haven't been sky-diving. I'd love to go dirt biking off a jump. I want to hike the West Coast Trail in B.C.
But more importantly, I want to save somebody, I want to save people sold into slavery, I want to see deaths from contaminated water and malaria end in my lifetime. I want to write a book that will remind people to value others more than themselves.
There are so many things. Maybe I should do a list. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Wow Larissa! Thanks for the great post! That video definitely inspiring. I've been pondering a lot lately about how Andrew van Laar can change the world, and up until a month ago I thought it was impossible cause I was a nobody. The conclusion came to me a bit ago that I am a somebody and myself and everyone else included does have the ability to make a difference in peoples lives.

By pursuing our goals and dreams, I think inevitably we will be helping doing the same for others.

Thanks again for the great post!

PS... I dont have a movie or life bucket list... I really need to get on that! May I recommend that you watch the most beautiful movie that has ever been made? La Vida Bella (or Life is Beautiful as it's called in English). You'll have to read subtitles as it is in Italian, but I promise you, you won't regret it!

Anonymous said...

www.flickchart.com not only does it help sort your favorite movie list in a fun way but it also charts the movies you haven't seen!