"All the world's a stage, and the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts."

- William Shakespeare

Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Million Miles in a Thousand Years

I bought a new book about an hour ago and then I was supposed to go shopping with my siblings but I was kicked out of the car because I was weighing everyone down with my busy schedule. They weren't going to get enough shopping fit in if I was with them, so I was sent home; voted off the island. Oh the joys of family life.

Anyway, I decided to make the most of my situation and start reading this new book of mine until I had to leave for my evening plans that made everyone else's lives so difficult. The book is called 'A Million Miles in a Thousand Years' (suggested read from Becky). I read the first chapter and for some reason I'm both enticed by the author's ideas but also repulsed. It's a weird balance at the moment - I'm not sure which way it'll tip by the time I've finished reading the book.


The author's name is Donald Miller and he's a Christian. He has some kinda strange worldviews though that are clashing a bit with my current ones. Let me give you a brief example... (keep in mind, I've only just finished chapter one):

Donald begins by introducing us to a friend of his named Bob, who writes down everything he's experienced in his life that he can remember. He "captures memories."

Excerpt from Chapter One "Random Scenes":

"I remembered getting a merit badge in Cub Scouts when I was seven, but that's all I could remember. I got it for helping a neighbor cut down a tree. I'll tell that to God when he asks what I did with my life. I'll tell him I cut down a tree and got a badge for it. He'll most likely want to see the merit badge, but I lost it years ago, so when I'm done with my story, God will probably sit there looking at me, wondering what to talk about next. God and Bob will probably talk for days."

The chapter ends with this thought:

Donald wonders if maybe one day we'll get to Heaven "and we'll sit and tell [God] our stories, and he'll smile and tell us what they mean. I just hope I have something interesting to say."

So I don't want to make any quick judgments. The first chapter has theories and ideas I agree with as well as some I disagree with, but here's what I'm thinking so far. It's just my opinion - Donald published his.

I don't think will God actually care if we've got something interesting to say or not. I think He loves us regardless. I think who we are (our personality, our strengths and weaknesses, our capacity to love and be loved) is more important than what we do (the interesting adventures we find ourselves in on earth). Although what we do shapes who we are and vice versa.

I'm all for having an adventurous life and living a unique story; and I'm definitely going to read on to see what exactly Donald Miller is talking about, but as far as God is concerned - one day when I walk through the pearly gates, I'll be perfectly content to just sit with God for days on end without exchanging a single word. He's far more interesting than I could ever be. Having Him in my life supplies enough adventure for me.

Anywho, that's all I wanted to get off my chest for now. I'll get back to reading.

Keep it real!

2 comments:

Becky said...

ok you know I have to comment....

I think you're right that what matters first and foremost is that God loves us regardless of what adventures we have, and adventures for the sake of making an interesting "story" aren't very valuable, from an eternal perspective. The bigger question is (I think) how are we using our story to connect to and extend the kingdom of God? Miller's thing is more about getting off the couch and using the time we've been given for something more than entertaining ourselves or meeting our own needs. He certainly has a different way of connecting to God, and I think that's probably ok. I personally love the idea of having a conversation with God - sharing the details of my life, what He had intended and how well I submitted myself to His plan....but it could be a personality thing too!

Keep reading and blogging about it - I'm so glad you picked up the book, even if you don't agree with it all! :)

Larissa Benfey said...

Well it's good to know he goes a little deeper with his theories. I'll definitely be reading on! :)