"All the world's a stage, and the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts."

- William Shakespeare

Sunday, July 18, 2010

ARCHERY

I've taken up archery! It's so much fun!!

My first archery class was just last Thursday and I learned how to hold everything properly, how to aim, how to release the arrow... all the basics really. So I shouldn't feel like Legolas just yet, but I still get ahead of myself and pretend to be him anyway :)

Seriously, when I'm holding a bow and arrow, I feel the most graceful I've ever felt. 'Cause I don't really see myself as a graceful person - graceful, elegant, ladylike... yeah, I don't really fit any of those descriptions. And sure, I had many a clumsy moment during my first archery lesson. Twice in a row I did the 'twang' (of the bow string) - arrow falls to my feet instead of flying majestically through the air... but you have to start somewhere.

For two days straight my fingers hurt and I had rug burn on my arm from the release of the bow string, but it was so worth it and will continue to be worth it over the next two months of the course.

Another great thing was I went to the course expecting to see a whole bunch of macho jocks trying to be cool and macho, but instead there were just average, everyday, normal people like me who just wanted to learn something ridiculously awesome. And I'm doing the course with my dad, so it's an interesting way to have father-daughter time. I like it. All of it.

The only downside is that my instructor doesn't look like that --------->
But that's okay. Maybe someday I can teach someone archery and look as cool as those two.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my enthusiasm for archery with some people outside of my class. My dad keeps trying to convince me I need a bow and arrow for my birthday but I'm still in the video camera or big screen tv camp - not that either of those are actually possible... and it would be super cool to have my very own bow and arrow... We'll see.

Keep it real!

No comments: