"All the world's a stage, and the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts."

- William Shakespeare

Thursday, July 8, 2010

On My Night Table


I thought I'd do something a little different today. I was listening to some video blogs and discovered many fun blogging ideas, including the actual idea of video blogging itself. But that's a leap and I'm more comfortable with baby steps.

Basically, with this post I plan to tell you about the books on my night table. I JUST took the photo above about 2 minutes ago so those really are the books currently on my night table. Albeit, it's usually not that neat, but sometimes I tidy up a little. For you.

Let's go from bottom to top, shall we?

Audition. By Michael Shurtleff.
I've read this book at least three or four times now - unfortunately the last time I read it had to be almost a year ago. I still pick it up and read the odd few pages now and then, but I haven't read it all the way through in quite some time. I believe it was the first 'acting book' I'd ever read so it holds a special place in my heart :)
The front cover brags that the book "reveals everything an actor needs to know to get the part" and I tend to agree. It was definitely an eye opener the first time I read it and I always find myself going back to it when I need quick advice.
My recommendation: every actor should read it.

How to Stop Acting. By Harold Guskin.
Okay, here comes a confession... I bought this book at least a year ago and have read the first three chapters numerous times but still haven't actually read it all the way through. How will I ever learn to stop acting at this rate?! But seriously, what I've read so far has been really integral to the way I view acting. Ever since I learned a long time ago that acting isn't actually acting, I've been getting in arguments with people all over. Someone will say something like, "yeah, but acting is about being a good liar" or something equally ridiculous and then I'll go on a forty minute rant about how the exact opposite is true. I know this book is for me but I just haven't sunk my teeth into it yet. I will soon.
My recommendation: anyone interested in finding out the truths behind what makes a good actor should probably read this, but I can't say anything for certain since I have yet to finish it. :s

How I Write. By Janet Evanovich.
Have you noticed a pattern yet? I seem to really dig 'How To' books. That being said, I stumbled upon this book in a book shop bargain bin. It was two dollars. I had to buy it. And it's been a big help. Janet just tells other writers what's worked for her and expects them to do whatever they want with the information. Some of it has worked for me, some of it hasn't. It's definitely made me a more self-conscious writer. And there's a big section on how to go about publishing your book, so that's been a life saver.
My recommendation: if you're a writer, getting this book can't hurt. Especially if you get such a great deal like I did.

The Two Towers. By J.R.R. Tolkien.
I'm only halfway through and I stopped mid-battle which is really strange but for some reason I haven't felt motivated to pick it back up again and it's going on a couple months now. I think Tolkien writes amazing adventure stories and knows how to write a good character. Reading the first half of his trilogy lead to giving me an idea for a new book of my own... But I think it can get a little wearisome if you're someone who likes to watch an action sequence instead of read one. 
My recommendation: don't watch the movies first - you'll get a bias that will affect the way you read. I unfortunately watched before I read and now I find myself comparing not only Peter Jackson's overall vision, but each actors' character choices to that of Tolkien's original intentions and story lines and it makes everything more difficult. Also, if you do decide to read the trilogy, don't let the hobbit stuff at the beginning of 'The Fellowship of the Ring' get you down. It didn't bother me, but apparently some people can't handle it. Just know, there's a light at the end of the tunnel!

My Personal Journal. By Me.
No one's allowed to read it until I'm dead. But while we're on the topic of journals, may I suggest that if you've never kept a journal before, try it. Who cares if you aren't an avid writer; I like the idea of recording the events of my life - everyone has a story and I want mine written down so I won't forget it. It's also a great way to figure out why something's bugging you or what to do next in life... or anything really. I find writing things down always helps me feel a little better.
My recommendation: don't read mine - write your own! :)

For Your Joy. By John Piper.  
I don't remember where I got it, but it's an easy read! It's some kind of 'new Christian FAQ' book. I flipped through it but it was mostly things I learned about in Sunday School as a kid. Still, if you've never been to Sunday School, who knows? This book might be for you! I've got a copy if you want one!
My recommendation: I don't know where to get it, but if you want my copy, it's yours!

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. By Stieg Larsson.
My mom just bought this book over the weekend and I started reading it today on my bus ride to work. I've finished the first chapter and despite the fact that I haven't been introduced to the title character yet and there's a little bit of business stuff it's hard to wrap my head around, I'm really liking it so far. I like the author's tone and I was told by someone that the book was translated into English - you can tell at times, but the writing still makes for a pleasant read. The author has a cool way of giving the reader information... I find myself eager to find out what will happen next and how all of the seemingly random information will continue to come together.
My recommendation: if you like the idea of CSI in book form and with a writer who actually has talent, this book is probably for you. Again, I'm only 43 pages in, so this could take a turn for the worst. I'll just have to read on to find out.

My Bible. By God.
Haha, that's fun to write. It's on my night stand so I had to mention it. For the past few months I've been reading through the New Testament - one chapter a night. I've skipped nights here and there or read more than one chapter a night but tonight I'll be reading 1 John 4. Therefore it would follow logic to say that last night I read 1 John 3. My favorite verse of last night stuck in my head all day: 
1 John 3:18 Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.
My recommendation: I guess as far as reading patterns go, do whatever works for you - but I definitely recommend reading this one. You can talk to God all you want, but sometimes it's really good to just listen to what He wants to say to you.

Australian and New Zealand Accents for Actors. By Gillian Lane-Plescia.
It's a pamphlet/book that was under my Bible and I read it so I guess I should mention it. The book comes with a CD that is really good. Sometimes I listen to it at night so that Aussies will talk to me in my sleep and I'll absorb their accent. That was probably too much weird information, but oh well...
My recommendation: you could get it if you wanted. Or you could just go to Australia. I'd recommend the latter option. 

Alright, I've talked enough for about two months worth of blogs, I think I'll let you go. I have to go do some laundry anyway. Hope you enjoyed my experiment. Should I do it again? I don't know... It'll probably be a few months before my night table looks a little different anyway, so I guess we'll see how everyone feels then. 


Keep it real!

No comments: