"All the world's a stage, and the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts."

- William Shakespeare

Friday, August 6, 2010

four books in five days

It took me years to discover this about myself, and now that I know it, I notice it all the time. You know how there's 'O.C.D' - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? Well I think I have 'O.D'... Obsessive Disorder.

As soon as I explain my reasoning, you'll be undoubtedly sure that I am a crazy lunatic... and have 'O.D'.

I go through these weird 'stages' (that's the only way I can think of describing them) where I'm completely obsessed with something and then I will literally drop it a week later and never need to think about it again. Let me give you some examples.

Dexter - I pulled all nighters for almost a week straight to get caught up when I first discovered it. And yes, I was working full-time at the time. After I got caught up, I never watched them again... for about two years. Just a few weeks ago I went through the Dexter stage again. It's a bit of a rarity for it to happen twice, but Dex is just that good. This time around though, I cut cold turkey right at the beginning of the fourth season. For once the obsession ended before it had run its course.

Heroes - Same deal as Dexter. This is probably not a good thing to admit, but I don't think I left my house for three days straight in order to watch the first couple seasons all the way through. Looking back now, I know Heroes can be entertaining, but would I lock myself indoors to watch them? ...Well, having been clean for about a year now, I can say that I wouldn't. But that first season is tempting me...




Insert celebrity of the week here - Every time I see a new movie, if I like an actor from it, I will go home and watch every single one of their interviews on youtube - often more than once each. Two days later I'll have moved on to someone else and, pardon my french, not give a rat's ass about the last one.


Heck, I even suffered 'O.D' with Twilight. I finished the books in a week (it's not like it was a dense read - it was all "You're perfect Edward - no you're perfect Bella; hey, get away from him! I want to control your every move! - Oh, you're so perfect Edward!") But now I can't stand anything about that stuff. Except I still like looking at the good-looking actors they've cast in the movies. Not that many of them can act.

So. My most recent 'obsession' is L.J. Smith (an author). She wrote the Vampire Diaries which has now gone from book to screen in the form of a hit TV show (don't ask how many hours of sleep I lost watching it, you won't like the answer). But I'm not reading the Vampire Diaries. I read the first few pages and was kinda bored. (That was after I bought the book though, so I guess I'll get my money's worth and read it someday)

...

No, I'm reading her series called 'Night World'. And, yes, it's very highschool. Whatever. But it's nothing like the 'Twilight Saga' so that's saying something.


Last Christmas I had a short spout of 'O.D' when I went to my local library and borrowed the three middle books of the series (that was all there was available). I later found the entire sales on sale at Costco so I acquired it in hopes of reading it this summer. Summer's half over, but on Monday I finally picked up the first book of the series. (I love holidays - I still don't know the name of whatever it was that gave me a day off work this week, but I love it anyway!)

Five days later, I just finished the seventh book of the series. (I skipped the middle three since I could remember them surprisingly well). Somehow I've managed to go to work for eight hours four times this week, gone to softball and archery and even woken up early to go running everyday... but other than that, all I've done is read. This time around I'm a little iffy as to whether or not my O.D is actually bad for me though. Usually I know it is, but I ignore that feeling anyway. Watching Dexter all day, every day, never helped anyone, including myself. But in this case, I'm reading, right? People encourage that. But it's O.D nonetheless.

Sooooo... I dunno.

I thought I should just get that off my chest. I don't think my O.D is going anywhere and I'm not sure if I want it to. It's really fun while it lasts...

Oh! I forgot one. PB&J sandwiches. One time that was all I ate for, like, two weeks. It was awesome.

Should I be worried?

Why doesn't my house have any peanut butter right now?

...

Keep it real!

No comments: