"All the world's a stage, and the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts."

- William Shakespeare

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Did You Know That...?

Today in one of my many English classes the phrase came up: "take that with a grain of salt" and being in the curious mood we were in, we started wondering what the origin of the phrase was. We couldn't figure it out from random guesses and quickly lost interest. Being a private school where students pay almost triple what public university students pay for tuition, it should come as no surprise that we didn't have the resources to simply look it up on the internet and move on.

PS. I love the internet. And Wikipedia. Say whatever you want about 'em, but I think they're the greatest. I would know a heck of a lot less information had it not been for them... albeit most of it is useless information, but hey! Knowledge is knowledge, right?

Anywho, here comes the point of my blog today. I said in my first post that I would, on occasion, use this blog to talk about things I've learned (because I'm big into learning) and today I learned something new.

I came home from school having never satisfied my curiosity as to the origin of the phrase we briefly discussed in class. I immediately went on my computer and wrote "origins of phrases" into my trusty Google search bar. Within a few minutes I had found the best site and even better: the origin of the phrase!

So after that long-winded explanation, I give you my findings!

"to take with a grain of salt"
=> The idea comes from the fact that food is more easily swallowed if taken with a small amount of salt. The suggestion is that injurious effects can be moderated by the taking of a grain of salt.
(info from phrases.org.uk)

TA DA!

So next time this phrase comes up and people get a wee bit curious as to its origins, you can tell them what you know!

Also, did you know that the term 'honeymoon' originated a loooooong time ago (I think before Ancient Rome) and here's where the idea sprouted: It was believed that honey is a natural aphrodisiac so for the first month after a couple was married they'd eat honey everyday. Since this lasted for a month by ancient standards it meant from full moon to full moon. Hence: Honeymoon. (info from howstuffworks.com)

Weird, right? PS. Honey has since been proven not to be an aphrodisiac, so don't go getting any ideas.

Aaaanywho, gotta go! :)

Keep it real!

No comments: