"All the world's a stage, and the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts."

- William Shakespeare

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

If SHE can do it...


Check this out! Race Car Driver Barbie!

Man, if I was ten years younger, you wouldn't see me for WEEKS! I'd be in my room playing with Race Car Driver Barbie all day!

Barbie's always getting a bad rap. Apparently some people think she's not the greatest role model for their little girls. So she's got a bit of an unrealistic figure... does it matter THAT much? I played with Barbies for a good ten years of my childhood and I think all that did was inspire me to have a wild imagination and love story telling. 'Cause that's what I did: I would tell insane stories and have my Barbies act them out. Barbie was always what I wanted to be when I grew up (which often changed): teacher, mom, movie star, superhero, fashion designer, rock star, jockey, professional figure skater, skier, snowboarder; I could go on and on. I had a blast.

And personally, I think that kind of behaviour is totally healthy. My mentality was always 'If SHE can do it, I can too.'

It's funny that Mattel's come out with Race Car Driver Barbie 'cause recently that's something I've put on my bucket list. It's a nice reminder to keep up the old mentality.

Huh. So you CAN take some of your childhood with you into adulthood. Good to know.

Still, I probably shouldn't go out and buy the doll - as much as I'm actually tempted to...

Keep it real!

1 comment:

Carly Dodd said...

I totally agree. Though I wasn't a huge barbie person myself (sister had a few but the most we had fro dolls were cabbage path kids) I played in just the same imaginitive way with stuffed animals. And look at us - both creative thinkers & writers. Barbie did some good, after all. And besides, it's body image etc. everyone gets fussed about, and i think kids are smart enough to realise a PLASTIC doll is not necessarily a realistic portrayal. After all, did kids in the 60's assume they'd grow up to look like raggity anne? I think note.