"All the world's a stage, and the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts."

- William Shakespeare

Thursday, December 16, 2010

quick book update

Being the most impatient person on the planet definitely has its pitfalls, especially when one is trying to be a writer. But somehow I'm staying positive. Probably because I handed my book over to God waaaay before I pitched the idea to any agents, so I know the matter is safe in His hands.

That being said, I thought I'd give a short update on how it's going right now.

I think it's been about a month since I sent my query letters out to 10 different publishing agents across Toronto. The day they arrived at the agencies, I got an email from a pretty reputable one saying I'd submitted wrong but they didn't necessarily want to flat out reject my idea and encouraged me to submit the right way which was to send them the first 50 pages of my manuscript. Needless to say, as soon as I got home from school that day, the pages were printed and being mailed off - express delivery. They said it would take up to six weeks to hear back from them. So I'm waiting.

Other than that one ray of sunshine, I've received three rejection letters so far and one 'return to sender,' so it doesn't even count. I'm glad I've got about ten years of learning how to deal with rejection under my belt from being an actor, otherwise I might have let the rejection letters get to me. But I know all it takes is one agency that's willing to represent my book. So even if I get nine (well, eight since that 'return to sender' one was a wash) rejection letters, I'll still be the happiest kid on earth.

That's about it for the update. I'm hoping the rest of the agencies aren't planning on making me wait until after Christmas for their responses. I mean, I can only take so much waiting before it'll start to get to me...

... Keep it real!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've totally got this Larissa :D Don't get discouraged if you don't hear back from anyone. Is it possible that you may have submitted it wrong for the others who you got a rejection letter from and they are just douches and didn't tell you?

Anyways chin up :) im sure santa will bring you something great for Christmas!

Fyodor Lewis said...

I second what Andrew said. The life of the author is full of rejection at first but don't lose hope and muster all the patience that you can. You remember all the authors we studied in American Lit who went through dozens of rejections before they finally were published? I'm not saying that's what is going to happen to you, I'm just saying that you should be prepared for anything!

We're rooting for you!

Larissa Benfey said...

thanks guys! :D