"All the world's a stage, and the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts."

- William Shakespeare

Sunday, December 12, 2010

the studying process

I got home from church today at about 1:30 and ate lunch. As soon as I was finished eating I decided it was time to hit the books. I have two exams tomorrow, so I knew wasting the afternoon away would be a bad idea in the long run.

I didn't want to waste a minute of study time. I went upstairs to my room and grabbed Jingle All the Way and brought it downstairs. My brother put it in the dvd player and we both sat down on the couch and began enjoying the ridiculous-ness of a 90s movie paired with the force that is Arnold Schwarzenegger. After about 20 minutes I realized I hadn't brought my computer down with me so I went back up to my room, grabbed my computer (and its plug so the battery wouldn't run out on me during my study session) and went back downstairs. I turned on my computer and checked my email. Then I checked facebook. Then I changed my facebook profile picture because it's been almost a week since the last time I changed it and a week's my limit.

Another 20 minutes went by and I realized I didn't have the sheet of paper my teacher printed off for us informing us of what we need to study for tomorrow's exam. So I went back up to my room and got the paper. I came back downstairs and began reading it over but didn't really absorb any information because Arnold Schwarzenegger's voice is just too distracting. So I put the paper down along with my computer and decided I should just get let myself watch the rest of Jingle All the Way so that the urge to watch it can leave my system and thus I'd have one less distraction when it came time to study.

Fifteen minutes later I realized I was incredibly tired. A late night paired with an early wake up call this morning meant I hadn't really had enough sleep. So I thought I'd rest my eyes for a bit, but in the same room as the TV so I wouldn't miss any awesome Arnie moments.

Twenty minutes later my brother poked my shoulder and said I had to listen to the hilarious grunts Arnie was making as people tried to get him into his Turbo Man suit so I opened my eyes, laughed and fell back asleep.

I woke up to see the end and smiled. 90s movies could be so heart-warmingly cheesy. Then we watched the trailer for Jingle All the Way because we love hearing that voice-over guy who dictated every 90s movie trailer. Then I decided I still wasn't well rested enough to be able to concentrate on studying so I went upstairs to my bed and lay down.

I had planned to nap until my mom came home from grocery shopping so that I could use the car to go to the gym before studying because I knew that would be all I was thinking about until I got a chance to work out but only five minutes into my nap (I was only half-asleep), I heard the van turn into the driveway... and I decided it was probably best to fully fall asleep before making myself wake up.

Three hours later I woke up... and I was hungry. So I went downstairs and ate some chicken wings and cheese (totally random dinner, but it was easy to make... ie. it was already made so all I had to do was eat it). Then my little brother asked if he could watch some of 30 Rock Season 1 and I thought I should probably watch an episode or two with him. So we watched the pilot for third or fourth time this year.

I looked at the time and realized it was really time for me to start studying so I came back upstairs to my room and checked my facebook and my email. And then I decided to blog about my day.

I'm so glad I didn't waste my afternoon... I'm going to ace tomorrow's exam...

Keep it real.

1 comment:

Becky said...

yikes - good luck on the exam, friend.
i've definitely had days like that but usually just means i didn't end up getting the laundry done. (and what do i care if my kids wear dirty underwear?)